Copycat Newk's Favorite Salad
A light but filling salad stuffed with flavor and crunch
- 6 cups (4 oz) mixed salad greens
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded/chopped cooked chicken -- I use rotisserie chicken
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) pecan pieces, toasted
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup (4 oz) halved grapes
- 3 Tbsp (1 oz) crumbled gorgonzola (can substitue blue cheese)
- 3/4 cup (1.5 oz) croutons
- vinaigrette, to taste I like either Newman's Own Raspberry & Walnut or Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette
To toast the pecan pieces, spread on a tinfoil lined cookie sheet and bake at 350* for about 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until the pecan pieces start to color and you can smell them cooking. Let cool. (This can be done days in advance. Or toast extra for future salads!)
Place salad greens in a bowl with all the other salad ingredients, and toss with dressing to taste. Serve immediately.
To make ahead: Mix all the ingredients except the croutons, pecans, and dressing. Cover until ready to serve, then add the croutons, pecans, and dressing.